Futaba Isurugi (石動 双葉, Isurugi Futaba) is a character in the Shōjo☆Kageki Revue Starlight franchise. She is a second-year student from the Actor Training Department at Seisho Music Academy's 99th Graduating Class.
A highly unorthodox Stage Girl who came to Seisho Music Academy along with her childhood friend Kaoruko. Kind-hearted despite her rough words, she takes care of Kaoruko while always griping. Tiny but athletic, she shows deadly aptitude for staged swordfights.
Yet I have found a straight path, one that rises to the night sky!
99th Class, Futaba Isurugi! I will dash forth with fighting spirit!
99th Class, Kaoruko Hanayagi! I'll have you follow me till the very end!
99期生 石動双葉 気合入れて突っ走ります
99期生 花柳香子 最後まで付きおうてもらうで
dakedo atashi mo mitsuke chimatta yozora ni sobieru ipponmichi
kyūjū kyū kisei Isurugi Futaba kiai irete tsuppashirimasu!
kyūjū kyū kisei Hanayagi Kaoruko saigomade tsuki ōte morau de
Futaba has amethyst eyes and amaranth-colored hair, which she wears in a pixie cut with her bangs parted on the right side, exposing her forehead. She is the shortest girl in her class.
Her Seisho uniform consists of a gray blazer with dark-gray trimming and a gray knife-pleated skirt, a white button-up shirt, a red ribbon tie, and brown loafers, which she wears with black crew socks.
Her casual outfit consists of an oversized caramel-colored hoodie with bell sleeves with yellow bands, which she wears with tan-colored boots. Around the dorms, she wears a rich-green-colored sweatshirt with a Daruma doll patch and light-green trimming, a plain-black T-shirt, and dark-purple shorts.
Futaba's practice outfit consists of a black leotard with grey leggings. She wears a white crop top over it.
Her revue outfit comprises a rich-purple jacket with golden piping, a standing-type collar, white turnbacks with golden piping, red cuff flaps with a golden trim, and a golden armband, aiguillettes, and epaulettes over a plain-white button-up shirt. Her belt is golden with a golden buckle identical to Kaoruko's. Her skirt is a very-pale-purple knife-pleated skirt with a purple band near the bottom, a purple ribbon at the back, and a light-pink tulle dress tail. Like all the other girls, she wears black boots with golden trim detailing and a tassel, as well as a red pelisse jacket with golden piping over her left shoulder, held to a red shoulder belt by a golden aiguillette and a golden button. Her weapon is a halberd with an amethyst-colored gem at its base.
Since they were children, Futaba has been devoted to supporting Kaoruko so that she can be the first one to see her in full bloom. As a result, Futaba often takes care of whatever Kaoruko herself does not want to do, such as manual labor or driving her to school on her motorbike. Kaoruko's overreliance on her and Futaba's disappointment with Kaoruko's stagnation creates tension between them, but nevertheless they deeply care about one another and share a strong relationship.
In the anime, Futaba approaches Claudine after Claudine's defeat by Maya Tendo in their revue. From then on, they become close friends, with Claudine helping Futaba refine her dancing skills.
- Revue of Belief and Chaos
- The name Futaba means "two, a pair" (双) (futa) and "leaf" (葉) (ba).
- Futaba's surname Isurugi means "stone" (石) (isu) and "movement" (動) (rugi). The kanji combination is uncommon, and often misread as "Ishido".
- Her surname also relates to the proverb "Three years on a stone" (石の上にも三年), which says if you sit on a cold stone for three years, it will eventually heat up, meaning that perseverance and patience will lead to success.
- Futaba's name means "leaves" to accompany Kaoruko Hanayagi's name meaning "flower".
- As her character has a lot of contrasting aspects (ie. she's the oldest in the 99th Class but the shortest), her name was meant to reflect that as well. Futaba is a cute sounding name, but the kanji of her name is angular, and her surname is difficult to read.
- Scriptwriter Tatsuto Higuchi drew inspiration for the name from a mame daifuku seller named Futaba by the Kamo River in Kyoto. Futaba and Kaoruko are seen eating sweets by the Kamo River as children in Episode 6.
- Futaba's favorite gift is kinako sticks.
- Futaba and Kaoruko are the only characters for whom the gems in their weapons and "Starlight" goddess outfits do not match their image colors, but rather are a combination of both of their image colors, and match between them.
- Romantic nature of relationship of Kaoruko and Futaba are a widespread fanon among the fandom franchise, which is explained by the fact that these two have the highest intimacy and most openly portrayed affection among other pairs of girls.
- Despite the fact that in every duet there is a girl who plays the role of an otokoyaku , Futaba is the character who most closely matches this archetype. This makes her short stature more meaningful in context, since this role is traditionally performed by tall actresses.
- Her weapon's design is based on that of a German halberd. Halberds originated in Switzerland around the 14th century and were eventually refined by German armies. Halberds tended to be around 6 feet in length to be able to knock off cavalry horsemen, but Futaba's version of the halberd is much shorter.
*For Stage Girl Live2D Models, please visit their respective card pages.
- First revealed at BanG Dream! & Revue Starlight Store (2018)
- Thank you! Revue Starlight Movie Grand Launch Party Eve Live Broadcast