Mahiru Tsuyuzaki (露崎 まひる, Tsuyuzaki Mahiru) is the tritagonist in the Shōjo☆Kageki Revue Starlight franchise. She is a second-year student from the Actor Training Department at Seisho Music Academy's 99th Graduating Class.
Though she sings and dances her heart out on stage, this Stage Girl is normally withdrawn and contemplative. She admires her roommate Karen's cheery and outgoing nature, but her feelings are put in a difficult place when Karen's old friend Hikari shows up.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Mahiru has straight waist-length midnight-blue hair that has blunt ends, as do her bangs, which cover her forehead, she ties off two small even sections of her hair in a way that makes them stick out like antennae and slate-blue eyes.
Her Seisho uniform consists of a gray blazer with dark-gray trimming and a gray knife-pleated skirt, a white button-up shirt, a red ribbon tie, and brown loafers, which she wears with black crew socks.
Her casual outfit consists of a pale-pink overall dress with a deep V-neck, under which she wears a pale-yellow shirt with trumpet sleeves, and her shoes are red canvas shoes. While in the dorm, she wears a long pale-yellow cardigan over a T-shirt, and black leggings.
Her revue outfit comprises a rich-green jacket with golden piping, a standing-type collar with a white cravat, pale-yellow turnbacks with golden piping, red cuff flaps with a golden trim, and a golden armband, aiguillettes, and epaulettes over a plain-white button-up shirt. Her belt is golden with a golden buckle. Her skirt is a green knife-pleated skirt with a white band near the bottom, a green ribbon at the back, and a light-green tulle dress tail. Like all the other girls, she wears black boots with golden trim detailing and a tassel, as well as a red pelisse jacket with golden piping over her left shoulder, held to a red shoulder belt by a golden aiguillette and a golden button. Her weapon is a mace with an aquamarine-colored gem finial, and she occasionally uses it like a baseball bat.
Personality[edit | edit source]
"Warm, kind and enthusiastic" — Mahiru's personality as described by her roommate Karen.
Mahiru is an easily flustered yet determined person, she is usually calm and shy, but dances and sings with vigor on the stage. She is shown/implied to have romantic feelings for Karen Aijo that she quickly despairs when she believes Karen no longer needs her once Hikari Kagura arrives. She is a very jealous person in general as she hates it when Karen gets closer to the other girls, and really doesn't like Hikari being the center of Karen's attention.
Seisho Music Academy is such a prestigious school that Mahiru appeared on TV just for being able to go there. And despite keeping up with her classmates there for a year, she still believes she doesn't compare to any of them. In her mind being Karen's sidekick is the only thing she has, because it allows her to be part of someone else's radiance.
Her family owns a farm in Hokkaido, and she shares food they send with the rest of the girls in her class.
Background[edit | edit source]
Mahiru is a native of Hokkaido and graduated from Kitachian Junior High. Encouraged by her art-loving grandmother, Mahiru applied to the Academy and got admitted . However, overwhelmed by the many talented girls at the Academy, she lost confidence in herself and subsequently forgot that she was selected thanks to her own unique "shine".
Mahiru's specialty is dancing, particularly with the baton.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Revues[edit | edit source]
Anime[edit | edit source]
Live[edit | edit source]
- Revue of Isolation (initial performance)
- Revue of Jealousy
- Revue of Summer Sky
- Revue of Ultramarine
- Revue of Rainbow
- Revue of Canis Minor
Etymology[edit | edit source]
- Mahiru's surname Tsuyuzaki means "dew; dewdrop" (露) (tsuyu) and "cape, peninsula" (崎) (saki/zaki).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mahiru's favorite gift is hair ties.
- Mahiru is the only character from the franchise whose romantic feelings for another girl are officially confirmed, as in Episode 5, her devotion to Karen Aijo manifests in Mahiru seeking out an indirect kiss with her and seeing Hikari Kagura as a rival for her affection, or in Episode 3, where Kaoruko Hanayagi describes her feelings in an almost straightforward way as “one-sided crush” and teases Mahiru about lesbian notes in her behavior. This feature of her personality remains unchanged both in the game and in the stage plays.
- The above makes it quite intriguing that during the plot the affection of the two girls is compared to the “Mahiru feelings for Karen”, the first time this happens when Kaoruko compares her dependence on Futaba Isurugi with this, and the second time when Mahiru herself comments on the mutual support of Maya and Claudine.
- Mahiru also is the only heroine of the original cast, who has no official partner for her Takarazuka due, which is caused by her status of "loser" in the triangle with Karen and Hikari. Nevertheless, it is assumed that she was Karen's revue partner before the events of the original plot.
- Mahiru's love for baseball and talent for the baton are taken directly from Haruki Iwata (Mahiru's voice actress).
- Iwata was a champion in baton twirling during her childhood and she holds a love for baseball to this day.
- Mahiru is 162 cm or 5'3.
- Mahiru shares a voice actress with Towa Hanamaki from the D4DJ franchise.