Yuyuko Tanaka (田中 ゆゆ子, Tanaka Yuyuko) is a character in the Shōjo☆Kageki Revue Starlight franchise, original to Re LIVE. She is a first-year student from the Performance Department at Rinmeikan Girls School.
Yuyuko prefers staying up late and sleeping during the day, and is always tired at school because of this. She hides any hint of putting in effort, and works hard in secret. Fond of traditional Japanese performing arts, she especially likes rakugo storytelling. Her music playlist is almost entirely comprised of rakugo performances.
Three — For our future play. Four — I will show you the strength of traditional theater!
Rinmeikan Performance Association - Yuyuko Tanaka! I will put my life on the line!
みっつ 未来の戯曲のために 魅せます 古典の心意気！
凛明館演劇同好会 田中ゆゆ子！ 命かけたる正念場 いざご覧あれ！
mittsu mirai no gikyoku no tame ni misemasu koten no kokoroiki!
Rinmeikan engeki dōkō-kai Tanaka Yuyuko! inochi kaketaru shōnenba iza goran are!
Yuyuko has shoulder-length peach-colored hair that she generally wears loose and split in two even sections over her shoulders, with blunt bangs that are slightly parted on the right side. She accessorizes the left side of the longer outer section of her bangs with three red hairclips in the shape of a Z. Her eyes are a red ochre.
The Rinmeikan students wear a sailor-style uniform, described by Fumi as being quite retro. It consists of a waist-length black blouse has a white sailor collar decorated with a single black stripe, matching the cuffs of the bishop-style sleeves, and a chest flap in the same color of the uniform that is conversely decorated with a single white stripe. A red ribbon is worn as the traditional ornamental tie. The blouse is worn over a knife-pleated pinafore dress in black that is decorated with two golden buttons placed horizontally along its waist, making them visible through the front opening of the blouse. Yuyuko wears her uniform with a red hoodie, with the hood usually being up, and with brown crew socks and lace-up boots.
Yuyuko wears a shirt depicting a sleepy mascot and a beige skirt with red and blue awning stripes. She wears a red zip-up red hoodie with the hood down.
Yuyuko's practice outfit consists of a crimson leotard with sleeves above the elbow. Underneath it, she wears white tights.
Yuyuko's revue outfit consists of a mini kimono that fades from a lighter to a darker tone of crimson. The collar has golden piping and a black lace han eri, and the sleeves and bottom hem have a gold band in an over-under pattern. The kimono has an opening on the right which shows a white skirt with box pleats and a gold band, underneath which she wears a black petticoat. She wears an imperial purple obi with golden piping on top and a bottom slit down the front, underneath which she wears a black obi-age, and over the both of which which she wears a thick red ribbon which ties as a bow in the back and an obi-shime consisting of a gold chain with an obi-dome in the shape of a golden butterfly. She wears black over-the-calf boots resembling jika-tabi with a golden trim and heels, with bright red ribbons tied around the ankles and knees. Yuyuko wears a red spaulder with gold edges and red tassels, tied to her arm with a red ribbon and over her shoulder with a golden string, and a hairpin in the shape of a red butterfly wing on her hair.
Yuyuko is typically a sleepy girl, and always carries a pillow with her, even during class. However, in spite of her sleepy appearance, she is actually a smart and well-educated student, often becoming very serious when it comes to studying and rehearsals, though her sleepy attitude undermines her ability.
Under the influence of one of her relatives, who is a rakugo storyteller, Yuyuko became interested in traditional Japanese arts. Yuyuko says she only joined Rinmeikan's Performance Department because she thought it would have some connection to rakugo storytelling, and not because she has a strong connection to performance or theater.
Rui and Yuyuko became fast friends during their first year at Rinmeikan. Rui is the only person to call her Yukko. However, she is also annoyed with Yuyuko due to the latter's sleeping habit.
Although they only met at the start of the year, Tamao and Yuyuko share a close bond. Yuyuko admits in her Little Red Riding Hood bond story that she considers Tamao as an ally and a senpai moreso than a friend. Nonetheless, they spend lots of time together. In a "My Theatre" conversation, Tamao says she misses seeing Yuyuko's dog, Momoko. Similarly, Yuyuko has visited Tamao's family's restaurant along with the other girls.
Like Tamao, Ichie shares a close bond with Yuyuko. Sometimes they spend time singing karaoke together, as seen in one memoir. In one of Yuyuko's menu screen lines, she says that she doesn't need to treat Ichie in any special way just because she's older, and adds that it's a good thing.
- Rinmeikan VS Seisho
- Rinmeikan VS Siegfeld
- Rinmeikan VS Frontier (Presumed)
- Revue of Creation and Sacrifice
- Yuyuko's surname Tanaka means "field, rice paddy" (田) (ta) and "middle" (中) (naka).
- Yuyuko's favorite gift is a tomato.
- Yuyuko's weapons are kunai, which was originally a farming tool used in the Tensho Era of Japan. Ninjas utilized kunai as a type of multi-functional weapon to throw, use in close-quarter combat, or as a metal wedge like a crowbar. Rope was also sometimes tied to the ring of the kunai to enable the user to climb and reach high places.
- Yuyuko's kunai are named 凛明亭遊眠 (Rinmeitei Yūmin), an imaginary rakugo stage name representing Yuyuko. Rakugo storytellers have stage names that are composed of a "family name" from the artistic family they belong to and a given name. Many rakugo family names are affixed with the word 亭 (tei), dating back to an Edo period literary practice.
- The stage surname "Rinmeitei" takes "Rinmei" from "Rinmeikan" and adds "tei", and the given name "Yumin" means "play" (遊) (yū) and "sleep" (眠) (min). Like all names with a given name and surname, the name is reversed in the English localization of Re LIVE.
- Yuyuko's favorite rakugo story is "The Eel Shop".
- Yuyuko has a part-time shrine maiden gig, as seen in one of her memoirs with Ichie.
- Yuyuko's favorite supernatural creature is Rokurokubi
- Yuyuko's mother is the one that picked out her practice outfit.
- Yuyuko has a dog named Momoko.
- The first Noh play Yuyuko saw was "Ataka."
*For Stage Girl Live2D Models, please visit their respective card pages.
- From Rinmeikan Girls School Yuyuko Tanaka Climax Act
- Rinmeikan Girls School Yuyuko Tanaka/Bond Story Yuyuko: I have a relative who does rakugo, and she's been doting on me since I was little.
- Rakugo: Performing Comedy and Cultural Heritage in Contemporary Tokyo
- Purple Clouds of the Afterworld/Story Part 5